Aetopetra is built on a small hill in the west of the plain of Konitsa at an altitude of 540m. It is 10 km away from Konitsa. The old name of the village was Sanavo.
The village, due to its location, receives a lot of sunshine during the day and it has suitable land for agriculture and animal husbandry. It is predominantly a rural village with 180 permanent inhabitants.
The churches of the village are of interest. The stone church of Agios Athanasios (royal style with age-old trees) has been designated as a historical monument and it is a building of 1817. The church of Agia Paraskevi and the chapels of Panagia with the magnificent oak trees in its precinct as well as that of Taxiarchis church are worth visiting. Next to the chapel of Panagia, a complex with large pots has been discovered. One of them (1.05 m high) is on display at the Archaeological Museum of Ioannina.
In the village square, every August (15/8) on the day of the Virgin Mary, “Aetopetra” Brotherhood organizes a traditional festival with local folklore musicians. A stop is necessary in the cafes of the village where you can enjoy local tsipouro and fine delicacies.