The route in Gannadio starts from the entrance of the village, namely the building of the School, built with a donation of legacy of Spyridon Xynos. From there we follow the road leading to the main square where stands the church of the Archangels with its imposing bell tower and the distinctive nine domes. In the square we find the Ameliko building that houses the Community Office next to the perennial tree where mingle every summer expatriates from Gannadio to celebrate their annual festival. From the square you take the path through the houses and after the imposing mansion of Xynos family connected with the invasion of 18 … following right the uphill will bring us in front of Girls school building which functioned until 1940 with the legacy costs of Xynos. Upon our return we follow the path that makes a circle around the last houses and small gardens to reach the central square. At the village exit, do not forget to visit the hill of Tziantora from the top of which you have panoramic views of the surrounding area and the neighboring village of Molista.
School In the year 1864 the late benefactor Spyridon Xynos upon the order of his father Nicholas Xynos allocated to Gannadio all their property for the construction of the Archangels church, of Our Lady (cemetery) of the School, the Primary School, the Girls school, workhouses, webber, aqueduct and mill . The primary school was housed on the lower floor of Spyridoneios School while on the top floor was housed the Greek School (Scolarcheio). In these schools studied children from the neighboring villages, Messaria, Botsifari, Staritsiani, Kerasovo, Fourka, Kastaniani, Stratsiani and Kortinista: The Elementary School and Scolarcheio(Spyridoneio School) appointed the best teachers of Epirus with increased wages. They will function normally until 1922 when their operation will be stopped with that of Scholarcheio being permanently discontinued in 1928. Children finishing their education at Spyridonios School they continued their studies either at the high school of Tsotili or the one at Ioannina.
Church of Archangels The church of Archangels is distinguished by its unique architecture but also for its interior decoration. Special beauty gives it the three chandeliers and candelabra, the wood-carved pulpit and the integral representations of saints on two large walls. Of exquisite art and beauty is indeed the golden temple that is throughout the intricately carved with figurative designs. Legend has it that it came from Gjirokastra. Many of the temple images bear date before 1700 while has a special place the crucifix of the temple which is connected with a miracle. On August 20, 1930 started to run tears from his eyes and drops of sweat from the body for three whole days. The villagers kept in small containers several of those drops for amulet.
Ameliko Ameliko known as “Hotel of the Foreigners” covering the hosting needs of foreigners who visited the village. Located on the east side of the square had two rooms with fireplaces and sofas. Among its main architectural features include the large pillared balcony and the large arched fountain hall. Nowadays, it houses the needs of the Community Office.
Xynos Vangelis Mansion – The night of 28 to 29 June a gang of thieves led by Netzip-aga conducted raid on Gannadio terrorizing residents and then besieged the fortified residence of Vangelis Xynos located in the center of the village. He fought back bravely with the rest of the family. The only thing that the thieves managed was to break the portal and go into the yard. After a four-hour battle they were forced to abandon their efforts to retreat, leaving behind 12 dead and 6 wounded. Before leaving they threw into the fire the corpses of their dead comrades.
Girls School In Gannadio except Scolarcheio functioned Girls School with four classes in which students were taught mainly housekeeping classes. It was built and maintained with expenses of Xynos legacy. As for the architecture was a simple building with two large rooms that had a fireplace for heating as well as sewing machines and looms for the needs of teaching. In the courtyard there was the kitchen where they prepared and distributed daily meals.