Tour the sights of historical memory 1940-41, such as the national outposts of Molyvdoskepastos, Pogoniskos, Pantazis, Skordilis and Mertziannis bridges, Captain Panagiotakis, Kardaris, Diakovangelis and Baras.
Below are detailed historical descriptions of the outposts divided into sections, as well as a detailed map.
OUTPOSTS THAT WORK
E.F. MOLYVDOSKEPASTO For the first time in 1913, a military outpost was placed in Molyvdoskepasto village after the liberation from the Turks and it was 200 meters south of the village. In 1940, it was moved with the advance of the Greek army in Northern Epirus to the village of Valovitsa until 1941. It returned to the village of Molyvdoskepasto in 1945 and it functions as a border station until today.
OUTPOSTS THAT DO NOT WORK
POGONISKOS OUTPOST OR E.F. 15 This outpost was built in 1928 west of the village of Pogoniskos. In 1940, parts of Colonel Tritsio phalanx headed for Grabala passed through it. During the counterattack of the Greek army it was recaptured. Today the building of the main outpost is preserved.
OUTPOST PANTAZIS OR E.F. 17 On the Aoos river, north of the “Mesogefyra” location, this outpost was built in 1925. It was of vital importance for the safety of the bridge on the “Pantazi hills”. On October 28, 1940, parts of the Italian divisions passed through. The bulk of the Italian forces also retreated from the same point, pursued by the Greek army in November 1940.
MERTZIANIS BRIDGE OUTPOST OR E.F. 18 It was built in 1914 on the left side of the Kalovrysi-Konitsa road, near the damaged Mertziani bridge. In the early hours of October 28, 1940, a large volume of Italian forces passed through, met with strong resistance, and that is why they finally set it on fire. From the same point, the rescued alpinists of the “Julia” division ran across the bridge. In 2002, at a distance of 150 meters below, a new bridge and the new customs office of Mertziani were built, which are currently in operation.
SKORDILIS BRIDGE OUTPOST OR E.F. 19 It was built in 1925 to the left of the old Skordilis bridge for the control of those passing from Leskoviki, Albania to Prosilio-Amarandos. In the early hours of October 28, 1940, parts of the Italian “Solina” phalanx crossed the bridge, and on November 2, 1940, Visconti Prasca crossed the bridge with the “Bari” division. During the retreat of the Italians, the remaining alpinists of the “Julia” division passed through there. It was recaptured on November 17, 1940 after a fierce battle.
CAPTAIN PANAGIOTAKIS OUTPOST OR E.F. 20 It was built in 1923 near the old settlement of breeders of Amarantos. On the morning of October 28, 1940, parts of the “Julia” alpinist division, headed for Vovousa, passed through there. Italian divisions retreated from the same point in November 1940.
KARDARIS OUTPOST OR E.F. 21 It was built before the war of 1940. On the day of the invasion, after a fierce attack by the 9th Alpinist Regiment of the “Julia” division, it fell into the hands of the Italians. It was recaptured on November 13 by the Greek army with a counterattack and hand-to-hand combat.
DIAKOVAGELIS OUTPOST OR E.F. 22 It was built in 1924 northeast of the village of Asimochori. It was the first to receive the Italian attack at dawn on October 28, 1940. During the heroic counterattack on November 13, 1940, it was recaptured by the Greek army with the significant help of the women of Asimochori, who went down in history as the “Women of Pindos”.
BARAS OUTPOST OR E.F. 23 It was built in 1914, 200 meters from the Greek-Albanian border, northeast of the village of Chionades and it was used as a winter shelter. In the summer of 1940, he joined the Pindos detachment commanded by Davakis Konstantinos. On the morning of October 28, the “Jemono” phalanx of alpinists invaded from there. During the retreat of the Italians after fierce fighting by the Greeks, it was recaptured. It operated until 1960.
*Access is carried out in combination with a car and on foot